Do you have a Samsung ice maker that needs defrosting?
- In this blog post, we will provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to defrost your ice maker.
- Keep in mind that defrosting your ice maker is an important task – if it isn’t defrosted properly, it could cause problems with the unit later on.
- So follow these instructions carefully and your Samsung ice maker should be up and running like new in no time.
- See even more Maintenance and Information Guide articles.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
How To Defrost Samsung Ice Maker
If your Samsung ice maker has stopped producing ice, it may be time to defrost it. Fortunately, defrosting a Samsung ice maker is a relatively simple process. See the two ways to defrost your Samsung.
Note that these two steps also work if you have a Samsung Ice Maker Not Working issue.
1. Reset The Ice Maker
Resetting your Samsung refrigerator ice maker will initiate a defrost cycle and help get rid of any ice build-up in the ice maker.
- To reset your refrigerator, remove the ice bucket and look for a small rectangular “Test” button.
- Press and hold the Test button until you hear a chime (which may take up to 10 seconds). Pressing this button will reset the ice maker and initiate a test cycle including running the defrost mode.
- Reinstall the ice bucket to collect ice during the test.
- The test will last a few minutes and end with another audible chime.
Once the defrost cycle is complete, your ice maker should be back to normal.
Tip: Ensure the vents on the back of the refrigerator are not covered or blocked. Blocked vents will prevent proper air circulation and could cause the defrost cycle to take longer.
Also, see How To Reset Samsung Fridge Temperature
2. Run a Force Defrost
If you’re having problems with your Samsung ice maker, you may need to put it into forced defrost mode. This will help to clear any ice buildup that may be causing the problems. To do this:
- Press the “Power Freeze” and “Lighting” buttons at the same time. Note: some models will have “Energy Save” instead of the power freeze option.
- Hold these buttons down for four seconds.
- Press the “Lighting” button to cycle through the options until you see “fd“, which is for full force defrost mode.
- The defrost cycle will begin and run for approximately 30 minutes.
- Finally, wipe down the interior of the ice maker to remove any residual water.
After the defrost cycle is complete, your ice maker should be working properly again.
Signs Your Samsung Refrigerator Needs Defrosting
- If your refrigerator has frost or ice build-up on the evaporator coils, this is a sign that it needs defrosting.
- If your ice maker isn’t producing ice, this is another sign that defrosting is necessary.
- If there is water leakage from the ice maker, this could also be a sign that defrosting is needed.
ALSO READ: Best Undercounter Refrigerator
Samsung Error Codes
If you see an error code on your Samsung refrigerator, it could be related to the defrost cycle. The most common error codes are:
- 5E: Fridge Defrost Sensor Error
- 8E: Ice Maker (Freezer) Sensor Error
- 14E: Ice Maker Sensor Error
- 33E: Ice Pipe Heater Error
- 39E, 39C: Ice Maker Function Error
- 40E, 40C: Ice Room Fan Error
- 84C: Compressor Lock
How Long to Defrost Samsung Ice Maker?
Using the forced defrost will take about 30 minutes, and up to an hour. If you are defrosting manually, it could take up to 24 hours for the ice maker to completely defrost.
Maintaining Your Samsung Ice Maker
Once you have defrosted your ice maker, it is important to take steps to prevent ice build-up from happening again.
Here are some tips:
- Remove any visible frost by scraping or wiping it away and then wipe down the inside of the ice maker with a clean, damp cloth.
- Periodically check the ice maker for frost build-up and defrost it as needed.
- If your ice maker is not being used regularly, empty it and defrost it every few months.
- To prevent frost build-up, keep the ice maker turned off when not in use.
- Check the rubber seals around the ice bucket and dispenser regularly to make sure they are clean and in good condition.
By following these simple defrosting instructions, you can keep your Samsung ice maker running smoothly. Defrosting your ice maker as needed will help to extend its lifespan and keep it working properly.
Contact Samsung Service
If you are still experiencing problems with your ice maker after defrosting it, or if you see an error code that you can’t resolve, contact Samsung service for assistance.
Samsung service – 1-800-SAMSUNG.
Samsung Refrigerator Ice Maker Common Issues
If you have to force defrost the ice maker, it means there is a problem with the defrost cycle. This could be caused by several things, including:
A blocked or covered vent
A dirty condenser coil
A faulty defrost heater
A faulty defrost timer
The error codes on your refrigerator can help you troubleshoot the problem. The most common codes are:
-Code defrost sensor error: There is a problem with the defrost sensor.
-Ice maker (freezer) sensor error: There is a problem with the freezer sensor.
-Code ice maker sensor error: There is a problem with the ice maker sensor.
-Ice pipe heater error: There is a problem with the defrost heater.
-Codes 39E or 39C defrost function error: There is a problem with the defrost cycle.
-Codes 40E or 40C defrost fan error: There is a problem with the defrost fan.
-Code 84C compressor lock: The compressor is locked and needs to be reset.
If you see any of these codes, it is best to contact Samsung service for assistance.
If you are not using your ice maker regularly, it is a good idea to defrost it every few months. This will help to prevent frost build-up and keep it working properly.
You should also defrost the ice maker if you notice any frost build-up on the interior walls or if the ice cubes are smaller than usual.
I’m J.S., I created and am the content manager at DIYHouseSkills.com. I do the research and write the articles that appear on this website. I’ve learned many household skills during my life and think it’s important to at least know the basics so that you can save yourself time and money… READ FULL BIO >
- Fitbit Aria Scale Troubles? Here’s Your One-Stop Solution Guide!As a long-time fitness enthusiast and technology devotee, I’ve spent countless hours exploring the latest fitness gadgets to optimize my health and wellness journey. And, just like many of you, my path led me to Fitbit’s Aria scale – a promising tool offering detailed insights into our body composition. However, it was not all smooth sailing. The scale presented its own set of issues and challenges … Read more
- From Flat to Fixed: A Quick Tire Changing GuideKnowing how to change a car tire is an indispensable skill for every driver. Whether you’re venturing on a long road trip or navigating your daily commute, a flat tire can strike at any moment. Being equipped with the knowledge to handle such an incident can save you from unnecessary stress, time, and even money. This article will guide you through the process of changing a … Read more
- DIY Guide: Fixing Your American Standard Touch Faucet Like a ProAs a homeowner with over 20 years of experience, I’ve seen a few malfunctioning American Standard touch faucets. I understand the frustration of a leaky faucet – the constant dripping, the wasted water, and the seemingly complicated repair process. But let me assure you, fixing it yourself is not as daunting as it may seem. In this guide, I’ll take you through a clear, step-by-step process … Read more
- Essential Tips for Fixing Door Lock MalfunctionsWith over 20 years of experience as a homeowner and professional, I understand the frustration that comes with dealing with malfunctioning door locks. From sticky locks to misaligned strike plates, this article aims to assist homeowners like yourself in identifying, troubleshooting, and resolving common door lock issues. Through step-by-step guides, case studies, and practical solutions, you’ll be equipped to restore your door lock to full functionality … Read more
- How to Reset Your Ring Camera (Factory Reset, Reconnect, Restart)The Ring camera has become a crucial part of our everyday life, providing security, peace of mind, and a sense of control over our homes. Yet, just like any other digital tool, the Ring camera might encounter some technical hitches. Resetting your Ring camera not only fixes these glitches but also updates the device’s firmware, optimizes its operation, and improves its overall performance. So, let’s dive … Read more