- In this blog post, we’ll show you how to change the battery in your Honeywell thermostat.
- If your thermostat is showing a low battery display or isn’t working properly, it’s probably time to change the batteries.
- Depending on the model of your Honeywell thermostat, you may need to replace the batteries every 1-2 years.
Follow the steps below to safely and easily change the batteries in your Honeywell thermostat.
- Turn off the power to your thermostat at the breaker box.
- Remove the faceplate from the wall.
- Locate the batteries inside the thermostat.
- Remove the old batteries and insert new ones in their place.
- Replace the front cover of your thermostat.
- Turn the power back on at the breaker box.
These 6 steps are all it takes to replace your battery but see below for a more detailed explanation.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
How To Change Batteries Honeywell Thermostat
If your Honeywell thermostat is having trouble starting up, or if the display is flickering, it may be time to change the batteries. Here’s how to do it:
- Turn off the power to your thermostat at the breaker box. This is an important step because you want to ensure that you don’t accidentally short-circuit anything while changing the batteries.
- Remove the faceplate from the wall. For most models, you will need to gently pull the bottom of the faceplate away from the mounting plate. If your model has screws, unscrew them first before removing the faceplate.
- Locate the batteries inside the thermostat. There will typically be two AA or AAA batteries inside. You may also see a wire connected to one of the batteries – this is normal and is used as a backup power source in case of a power outage.
- Remove the old batteries and insert new ones in their place, being careful to observe correct polarity (positive + and negative -). If there was a wire connected to one of the old batteries, simply reconnect it to the new battery in the same spot.
- Replace the front cover of your thermostat and reattach any screws that were holding it in place. Once everything is back together, go to the final step.
- Turn the power back on at the breaker box and test your thermostat to make sure it’s working properly.
Replacing Your Honeywell Thermostat Battery Tips:
- Know that some newer WiFi-enabled thermostats do not require batteries as they are powered by a C Wire. Check your model’s documentation to see if this is the case for you.
- If your Honeywell thermostat runs on AA or AAA batteries, we recommend using alkaline batteries as they tend to have a longer lifespan than other types of batteries.
- Be sure to write down the current settings on your thermostat before you remove the faceplate. This way, you can easily reset them after changing the batteries.
- Gently pull the bottom of the faceplate to remove it from the wallplate. Be careful and watch to ensure you are not also pulling the wallplate away from the wall.
- If you need support, contact Honeywell US Customer Care at 1-800-468-1502.
ALSO READ: Easy Newbie Home Maintenance (Will Save Money) for a free checklist to get you started in learning what needs to be inspected around your home.
When Should You Change the Honeywell Thermostat Battery?
Most thermostats will display and flash “Lo Batt” or “Replace Batt” 60 days before the batteries run out.
The general rule of thumb is to change your batteries once per year, but this may vary depending on the model of your thermostat and the type of battery it uses.
If your thermostat uses AA or AAA batteries, you will probably need to replace them every 1-2 years. If your thermostat uses a lithium battery, you may only need to replace it every 3 years.
You can check your owner’s manual for specific recommendations on how often to change the batteries in your model of the thermostat.
What Type of Battery Does a Honeywell Thermostat Use?
The type of battery your thermostat uses will depend on the model. Some models use AA or AAA batteries while others may use a lithium battery.
|Thermostat Series||Thermostat Model||Batteries|
|VisionPRO 8000 WiFi||TH8321WF1001/U||n/a|
|PRO 1000 Series||TH1100DV, TH1110DV, TH1210DV||2x AAA Batteries|
|RTH230b||69-1800||2x AA Batteries|
|PRO 2000 HORIZONTAL||TH2110DH, TH2210DH||2x AAA Batteries|
|TH4110B 5-2 DAY||TH4110B1009/U, TH4110B1017/U, TH4110B1025/U, TH4110B1033/U||2x AA Batteries|
|PRO 2000 VERTICAL||TH2110DV1008/U, TH2210DV1006/U||2x AAA Batteries|
|5-2 DAY PROGRAMMABLE||RTH6350D1000/U||2x AA Batteries|
|PRO 1000 HORIZONTAL||TH1210DH1001/U, TH1110DH1003/U, TH1100DH1004/U||2x AAA Batteries|
|T4 Pro Programmable||TH4110U2005/U||2x AA Batteries|
If your thermostat uses AA or AAA batteries, you can purchase these at most hardware stores or online. If your thermostat uses a lithium battery, you may need to order it directly from Honeywell or a similar manufacturer.
Change Battery Honeywell Thermostat Summary
That’s all there is to change the batteries in your Honeywell thermostat. Following these simple steps will ensure that your thermostat continues to work properly for years to come.
I’m J.S., I created and am the content manager at DIYHouseSkills.com. I do the research and write the articles that appear on this website. I’ve learned many household skills during my life and think it’s important to at least know the basics so that you can save yourself time and money… READ FULL BIO >
- Can You Caulk Over Grout? Proper AdviceCaulking is a great way to seal up cracks and crevices in your home, and it can be used to waterproof joints between different types of materials. But what about caulking over grout? Can you do that? And if so, how? In this blog post, I will explore the answers to these questions and provide some tips on how to caulk effectively. THIS POST MAY … Read more
- How To Remove Mold From Tile GroutMold can be a huge problem in any home. Not only is it unsightly, but it can also be dangerous to your health. How can you remove mold from tile grout? To remove mold from tile grout you can either use warm water and a scrub brush, baking soda, borax, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, or beach. Sometimes using a steam cleaner can also help you to … Read more
- Can You Paint Grout? Advice and TipsSee how to paint grout and just how quick and easy it is to restore its appearance. Tile grout is one of those things that you never really think about until it’s dirty and needs to be cleaned. But what if you could just paint over the grout and forget about it? THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from … Read more
- How To Seal Grout In A ShowerSealing grout in a shower can seem like a daunting task, especially if you are not sure how to properly apply the grout sealer or know when it is time to reseal your grout. However, with a few tips and tricks, sealing your shower grout can be a simple and straightforward process. Ultimately, whether you choose to tackle this project yourself or hire a professional … Read more
- Kohler Touchless Faucet Not Working | Advice to FixKohler Touchless Faucet Not Working? Try These Tips. If your Kohler touchless faucet is not working, don’t despair. There are a few things you can try to get it up and running again. A touchless faucet is a great way to keep your hands clean and prevent the spread of germs. But what do you do when your Kohler touchless faucet stops working? In this … Read more