Washing machines are essential appliances in any household. But, without regular maintenance and cleaning, they can become inefficient and even hazardous.
Fortunately, getting your washing machine clean is a straightforward process that won’t take much of your time or effort.
In this article, we’ll explain how to clean a washing machine effectively and safely.
What You Will Need
Before you begin the cleaning process, there are some items you will need:
– Cleaning brush
– A few rags
– Detergent free of bleach and phosphates
– Unscented vinegar
– Rubber gloves
In addition, see how to clean your dryer vent for the best performance.
Steps for Cleaning Your Washing Machine
1. Start by unplugging the washing machine from its power source. Remove all laundry detergents and fabric softener dispenser drawers and set them aside on a cloth or paper towel.
2. To view the inner workings of the machine, remove the front panel with a screwdriver or wrench. Use a dustpan or vacuum cleaner to catch any dust and dirt inside the cabinet before removing it from the washer. Once you have cleared out the debris, reattach the front panel with the screws that were used to remove it in the first place.
3. Now it’s time for internal cleaning. Pour 3 cups of white vinegar into your empty washer drum along with ½ cup of detergent powder free of any bleaches or phosphates (such as Tide Free & Gentle). Select an appropriate cycle for plain water washload setting according to your washing machine’s manual instructions – usually marked “clean” — then press the start button to activate it.
4. After running through one complete cycle using plain water only, begin another cycle using both warm water and a half cup of unscented liquid chlorine bleach while running at the highest speed possible (as recommended by your manufacturer). If necessary repeat this step two more times ensuring that all residue is removed off tub walls and the surface area above the agitator in the washer tub interior.
5. Once cycles are completed turn off the washing machine power source again & wipe down the inside walls & top surface area around the agitator using a damp cloth/rag, & scrub soap buildup as well if present using dry/wet hard brush. Now allow the entire system especially the agitator & spinner blades good 10 minutes to rest before continuing.
6. Lastly, replace the drawer refill lint trap components back in their original positions then redeploy the top cover glass lid followed by a power restore procedure.
There you have it, a simple step-by-step guide to cleaning your washing machine. To maintain its efficiency and safety, it’s important to clean your washer regularly. And with just a few items, you can have your washing machine clean in no time.
- How Do You Iron A Shirt For Beginners? (Easy Steps)Ironing is a practical and useful skill most adults will need to learn at some point in their lives.It is easy to learn but does require the proper equipment to make you look like an ironing professional. Are you needing to learn how to iron? We’ll start with the tools of the trade; how to select the right iron and ironing … Read more
- How To Shine Shoes At Home (Boots Too) 4 Easy StepsI wanted to talk a little about polishing your dress shoes. When I was younger I didn’t know how to polish my shoes and to be honest I never even thought about it. I worked a job wearing the same old scuffed-up dress shoes every day. Not a good look. Finally, it dawned on me that I could do better. I … Read more
- Easy Newbie Home Maintenance (Will Save Money)Owning your first home is fun and exciting as you start envisioning endless possibilities of improvements you could make. New homeowners however do need to be aware of routine maintenance that is required for the proper upkeep of their homes. This new free checklist will get you started in learning what needs to be inspected around your home. It covers kitchens … Read more
- Tape Measure Tips And Tricks (Secrets To Know)Most people have used a tape measure at some point in their lives. We commonly use them for simple measurements without thinking too much about them. But tape measures are chock full of features that if we learn about can ensure we use them properly and get accurate measurements. The tips and tricks of tape measures are features and uses that … Read more
- Best Mason Bee House DIY Steps | Avoid ThisToday mason bee houses have become very popular. Bees in general have been in decline which has sparked concern among many people. Building your own DIY backyard mason bee house is a project anyone can tackle with just a few materials and planning. Start with wood blocks or paper tubes, drill some holes and mount the bee house to a sturdy … Read more